Do you want your business to be remembered? Do you want your customers as well as potential customers to easily locate your website? If this is what you want, you need to register a domain name that is memorable
Obviously, when we consider that your online presence is located on the “worldwide” web, to make your brand stand out of the crowd is easier said than done.
The vast, immeasurable number of websites that exist in the internet universe makes it easy for a business to get lost.
However, a memorable, brief, and uncomplicated domain name is key to your business being successful in cyberspace and having a web presence that flourishes.
Why Are Domain Names Important?
Read the next sentence once and then ask yourself which of the examples do you remember best?
- Example (1.) 126.96.36.199
- Example (2.) Facebook.com.
I think it is a safe bet that you can remember example 2 without any difficulty. The thing is, they are both the exact same website location.
Yet, rather than having to remember a long, arbitrary list of numbers that is the numeric internet address, a domain name allows you to use a simple and easy method to find the location you want on the internet.
Domain names accomplish 3 important functions for your website:
- The “first impression”. The URL will affect the immediate viewpoint of your visitor. A catchy and appealing domain name could produce a favorable and long-term impression. Whereas, a confusing, poor, or careless domain name could quickly alienate potential visitors to your site.
- Search engine success. The SEO ranking of your site can be influenced by the domain name.
- Marketing possibilities. Your domain name is a marketing opportunity. It is another way to define who and what your website and, or business is about. It could increase the brand recognition of your product or purpose.
Registering a Domain Name
Perhaps you have already thought deeply about what domain name you would like. You have chosen it and now you want to register it.
However, you will find that other domain registering sites are similar to these examples.
How to Register a Domain Name With Bluehost
Bluehost is an excellent choice if you would like to combine your web hosting and domain name selection. It will save you both time and money.
- Go to Bluehost.com/domains and search for your domain name in the search bar in the center of the screen. You can choose from several different extensions such as .com, .net, .org in the drop-down box to the right of the search bar. Continue to search until your preferred name and extension is available.
- On the results screen, make sure the box is checked or unchecked to add or remove the privacy protection and then click the “Continue” button. The privacy protection makes your personal information private to reduce the risk for email spam, junk mail, and identity theft.
- Next, you are given the option to add an email address that matches your new domain. You can choose between 3 different plans and add to the cart the one you like. If you don’t want to choose one of the email plans, select “Proceed to Checkout”.
- Fill your billing detail, choose the payment method and proceed with the payment. Now you are the official owner of your domain name.
Bluehost currently provides a domain name for free and web hosting prices start as low as $3.95 a month for the first year. And renewals after the first year period start at $7.99. Purchasing a domain on its own, without web hosting, starts at $11.99/year for all extensions. For an additional $11.88 per year, you can purchase privacy protection.
If your budget is a priority, Namecheap offers high-quality domains at a competitive price. If you’d like to register your domain name with Namecheap, here are the instructions to do so.
- The first thing to do is go to Namecheap.com and type your domain name choice into the search box.
- When you see that your domain name is available, click the “Add to Cart” button.
- In the next screen there a series of additional services you may decide to add to your cart or not. For instance, you can try an email account for free, buy a hosting or add a SSL certificate.
- Namecheap also has privacy protection options. Their “WhoisGuard” privacy option is free. Which is a great
deal.However, their “PremiumDNS” privacy option is provided for $4.88 a year.
When you are ready click on “Confirm Order.”
- Lastly, you must decide the length of time you would like the domain to registered. After that you can proceed with the payment and start using your new domain name.
Pricing will adjust based on which extension you select and the length of time you want to purchase. The one-year prices are as follows:
- .com extension – $8.88/year (renews at $10.88/year)
- .org extension – $12.98/year
- .net extension – $12.98/year
GoDaddy – Domain Name Tool
Well known by their popular commercials, GoDaddy is one of the world’s largest domain name registrar. Here are step by step instructions to purchase your new website domain name with GoDaddy.
- Go to GoDaddy.com. Once there, type
yourwell thought out domain name into the search box.
2. Your name is available. YAY! (If it isn’t, you must continue to try different names, until one is available.) Next, select the pricing option you would like by clicking the correct “Add to Cart” button. Afterward, click the “Continue to Cart” button.
3. On the next screen, you will be given privacy protection options. If you are not concerned with people knowing that the domain originates with you, then you can choose “No Thanks” and then select the “Continue to Cart” button.
4. At this point, to proceed you have to create an account or sign in if you already have one with GoDaddy.
5. Finally, choose how long you would like the domain to be registered and then complete the purchase.
Pricing options are dependent on which extension you choose and for how long of a period you register it for. Here are some of the one-year pricing options:
- .com extension – $11.99/year (renews at $17.99/year)
- .net extension – $13.99/year (renews at $19.99/year)
- .org extension – $9.99/year (renews at $20.99/year)
- .co extension – $11.99/year (renews at $34.99/year)
A Few Cautions When Registering a Domain Name
We do want to mention a few factors you should be cautious about since there is always fine print that you want to be aware of.
- When using a web hosting site that offers a free domain name, frequently, the free domain name is only free for the initial year. Sometimes two. However, after this initial time with the web host, a cost for the registration of your domain name will be included in the annual or biennial fee. Your “free” domain name is only for an initial period.
- Further, be careful to note whether your provider charges a fee for setting up your domain name. This is different than an annual fee for your domain name and it is an additional cost.
- Many services and providers will transfer a domain name that you already have from another provider at no cost. At least, with no transfer cost. However, they might also have a setup cost and even a registrar fee.
- Also, keep in mind, that not all web hosting services provide a domain name. As we mentioned above, Bluehost, Namecheap,
andGoDaddy provide a domain name (and others do too), but not all. This does not indicate they are a bad web host; it only means you will need to obtain, likely purchase, your domain name from another source and then incorporate it into your web host provider. We mention this because it could mean incurring further costs.
- Lastly, domain name registrars provide diverse options when it comes to the length of time you can register your domain name. A long contract frequently comes with a lower annual cost, however, if for some reason you find that you don’t like the service of your registrar, there may be restrictions on your ability to transfer your domain name to another service. Also, although not common, the registrar could go out of business and then your domain name has no host.
Clearly, you should read and examine the policies of the web host and domain registrar closely before choosing the one you will use for your domain name.
Get Your Domain Name on the Web
Likely, you have heard the expression that something is “like trying to find a needle in a haystack.” For a certainty, you do not want your website to be that challenging to find. With the right domain name, your website can be as easy to locate as a tall tree in a field of flowers.
We hope that with this short guide you will be able to get your domain name on the web quickly and within your budget. In no time at all, your site will have many visitors that have found your website quickly and easily.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?